Thursday, June 25, 2009

Tasty Thursday - Sweet Slice of Summer - Part Two

Remember last Thursday's post when I said sometimes the easiest things are the best??? Well, it's still true, especially with this yummy pie! It's only got a handful of ingredients, and there are as many flavors as there are flavors of Kool-Aid! Doesn't this pie look scrumptious?



My mom found this recipe years ago, and I have tried three flavors, but I think she has tried four or five. It's called Kool-Aid Pie, perfect for summertime, and it's so easy to make it's ridiculous!


Lemon Kool-Aid Pie
  • One pre-made graham cracker crust
  • One 8 ounce carton Cool Whip - thawed
  • One can sweetened condensed milk
  • One flat, unsweetened pack of lemonade Kool-Aid
  • Lemon Extract - optional
  • Lemon Juice - optional
  • Yellow Food Coloring - optional

Mix the Cool Whip, sweetened condensed milk and Kool-Aid. Taste for tartness. If you want more lemony flavor, you can add the extract or lemon juice. (I like mine tart, so I added 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 teaspoon lemon extract). If you want it more yellow in color, you can add a few drops of food coloring, but that's a personal preference.

Note: When you first start mixing, it's kind of gunky, but as the ingredients begin to blend, it will become thick and creamy.

When you've got it to the right lemonyness, pour the filling into the pie crust, and refrigerate for at least two to three hours, but preferably overnight.

(That is spearmint on bottom and the lighter on top is lemon balm.)

Now for the fun part. You can also make:

  • a lime pie, using lemon-lime Kool-Aid with lime juice,
  • an orange sherbet pie, using orange Kool-Aid and orange extract (and I promise it tastes just like orange sherbet!),
  • a strawberry pie, using strawberry Kool-Aid and strawberry extract, and maybe some sliced strawberries on top???

This is a delicious dessert, sweet and creamy, and so easy anyone can make it. Try your favorite flavor of Kool-Aid pie, and you'll be pleasantly surprised how good it is!

From the shores of beautiful Lake Chatuge in Hiawassee, Georgia - have a great weekend!!! Becky

5 comments:

LissyLou said...

oooo very interesting!! i'll have to try this x

K-Sue said...

This sounds really yummy and easy.

K-Sue said...

Since I was going by the store anyway...I picked up the ingredients for this pie - went together so fast. Mine is a little low in the pie crust. Musta been all that sampling. Yum!

Leslie said...

I have had this pie before and it is yummy. I had the lemon flavored one but didn't know how it was made Thanks for the recipe! I have really enjoyed reading your blog. Please visit my blog at http://intheshadowofjuniperhill.blogspot.com/ I have something for you there.

Jen from Windy Ridge said...

Oh my gosh, my kids would LOVE this recipe!