Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Estate Sale In My Future!

I just had to tell someone, because I'm so excited, yet also bummed a bit, and I know that makes no sense, so allow me to share a small story of my past, before I tell you about the Estate Sale in my future!

When I was a child, I was very shy - painfully so. I was also extremely sheltered, protected, some might even say smothered in a stranglehold by my mother. I swear, sometimes I think I went to the Doctor just because she wanted to prove to people what a good mother she was, not because of any real illness on my part! Of course 6 years into my life my brother came along and she transferred most of that to him, but I won't go there today.

Anyway, apparently because I was sickly (not really, but hey!) she got me out of going to PE when I was in 7th and 8th grades, and instead I spent that time in the lunchroom, wiping tables and chairs and filling salt and pepper shakers, but mostly being spoiled by the lunchroom staff of Hickory Flat Elementary School. They were the best, and I had a wonderful time with them! The supervisor was Florence Clark, and two of the workers were Dot Pinyan, and Grace Owens. Over the years there were others, but these were my favorite three.




(Photos from auctioneers website)
Dishes and glassware

They had every one known me all my life, and for the hour each day that I was there, I was in heaven! I also ate a lot of leftovers, and had free chocolate milk and orangeade, thanks to the milk delivery man! Oh, and although I never really got an allowance, I got my lunch free, so my mom let me have the $2 per week that she would have normally paid for my lunch. Wow! In the 60's, $2 was a lot of money, especially to an 11/12/13 year old who never had any money.

Anyway, Florence, Dot and Grace were so sweet to me, and showed much kindness to a child who lived in a home with lots of arguing, very little of the worlds 'worldly' goods, and was painfully shy. I truly loved my time in that lunchroom with those sweet ladies, and remember those times and those ladies fondly.



Old linens - be still my heart!

Now, more than 40 years later, the three sweet ladies are all gone to heaven - where they deserve to be, and where I hope to meet up with them some day. The most recent was Florence who passed away a few months ago. Yesterday, as I was cutting through the well known back roads from my house to my parents house, I ran into road construction and decided rather than to sit and wait, to turn back and go the long way around. And I'm so glad I did, because on the way I passed Miss Florence's home, and there was a huge sign out front. "Estate Auction June 13, 2009 10 AM" "Antiques - Furniture ..." and I quit reading there, because I was going by too fast to read the whole thing. But seeing the word antiques was enough for me.


I can't believe it! She had the same dishes as my mom and dad's first set, and there are only a few pieces of my parents' set left. Do I dare???

I would just LOVE to have something of Florence's, to remind me more often of the happy days I spent in that lunchroom when I was a child. So, I'm going to go to the auction, and hopefully I will find something to buy. I'm really, really wanting maybe a box lot of linens. Some tablecloths, kitchen towels, and maybe an apron, because I remember her wearing aprons. Wouldn't that be such a wonderful way to pay tribute to a lady who showed kindness to a child who really needed kindness at that time in her life???

Have a great day, folks! Becky

4 comments:

LissyLou said...

That was lovely. I can see why you needed to tell someone. Do let us know how you get on. x

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful estate sale that will be. I so hope you find an apron and that china is lovely; how ironic that it is the same pattern as your parents. At Milton High School, I had Parry Pinyan as PE teacher - I bet she was related to your friend. Keep us posted.

K-Sue said...

What a nice tribute. It encourages me to try to be the kind of person who is a light in a child's day. We don't always know what is going on in a child's mind. These kind ladies probably had no idea they were a happy refuge for you. It's a timely encouragement, for reasons I won't share all over the internet.

Coloradolady said...

What a stroke of luck that you did not miss that. I loved your story, and could just picture these ladies in your life. I hope the estate sale will be a happy time, and not make you feel sad. Sometimes, they make me sad, but I love buying new treasures. Loved your post.