Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sunday Update - Taking it easy . . .

Hello everyone! We've had an easier day today - thanks in part to my aunt, and in part to the fact we just decided to come home early since my dad is doing pretty well. I don't know if I told you, but my dad's two sisters are 13 and 15 years younger than him - and 7 and 9 years older than me! The older of the sisters came up on Friday from Marco Island, Florida and has spent the weekend with the other sister, but visiting with my dad and mom and me at the hospital. She called this morning and said she would go sit with him this morning and for us to take it easy. She left this afternoon to head back to S. Florida.

We didn't really take it any easier, but we did stop at Waffle House for breakfast, then went by my parents house so my mom could get some more clothes and we fed her birds. Then we got to the hospital around 11 am.

My dad is doing well. Sitting on the side of the bed and standing up for a few seconds at a time. They are beginning the process of weaning him off of the drugs that helped stabilize his BP. He is eating solid foods and grumbling and complaining, so we know he's doing okay.

We still plan on leaving EARLY tomorrow morning so we can be there to meet with his cardiologist. My main question for him will be 'what's the prognosis?' How much more of this can his heart take before it finally just wears completely out. But I don't know if he will be able to give me a straight answer. My aunt asked the lung spec. that question this morning and she said "If you had asked me that 3 days ago, I would not have thought he would be here today, much less eating solid foods and sitting up! But if he gets some strength back, he may go back home and do okay for a while, until the next spell, and then we'll have to see."

So, it's one of those things that we'll just have to wait and see how things go. I do know he is stubborn, and his stubbornness and will to live have kept him going this long, so he won't give up without a fight. And when he's too tired to fight, we'll deal with that when the time comes.

Thanks once again for prayers you are lifting up! We so appreciate each and every one. Now I'm off to the kitchen - I took steaks out of the freezer this morning, it's a beautiful day, and we're cooking them out on the deck. Yum! Grilled ribeyes, roast potatoes and green beans. Delish! Blessings, Becky

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear your dad is doing better today. Sounds like he's already made great stride just in the last couple of days. I hope he continues to improve and can go home instead of to rehab, which sounds like it may be the case. He's full of fight and determination, isn't he?!? You and your family will still be in my prayers. Enjoy your early evening, and I hope you get some good rest tonight! -Tish

Anonymous said...

Becky,

I am so happy your dad is doing better. I do so understand what you are going through. I went through three weeks of both parents in the hospital, and it is very wearing. But, I am so proud of your attitude. And, don't be too hard on yourself about your mom--I think you're both tired and emotionally worn out. At times like that it is easy to get on each other's nerves. I'm praying and sending positive thoughts your way.

Hugs,

Sue