Saturday, May 2, 2009

Best Laid Plans, and all that stuff!

Do you see that flat of flowers down there??? Zinnias, dahlias, and gorgeous double impatiens, all waiting to be planted.



And these??? Caladiums, asparagus ferns, Snowstorm Giant Snowflake (Bacopa), ornamenal sweet potato vines, lantana, geraniums, hollyhocks and monarda.


And the hyacinth beans, moonflowers Cuban oregano, oregano, sage, marjoram, and even more ornamental sweet potato vines.


And all of these >>>

All perennials and herbs - everything from salvias, verbena, dianthus, gaura, lemon balm, creeping phlox, tomatoes, flowering quince, hostas, shasta daisies, parsley, dill, basil, and more.

Well, my primary goal and purpose for this weekend was to get all of those in the ground - holes dug, soil amended, plants planted, fertilized, watered, and hopefully, happy!

Guess I won't be doing so much planting this weekend, though, because last night we had some crazy storms, thunder that shook our house, and it's a solid house! Thunder that got both of the dogs upset, enough so that I ended up putting them in bed with us, and Bessie actually crawled under the covers and stayed there for a while. And Bessie doesn't like staying in bed with us unless it's in the camper. Bailey, however, is a different matter - she would sleep with us forever if I would let her.

Anyway, we had over 1/2 inch of rain - it's hard to tell how much more because the squirrels had knocked the gauge crooked again, but regardless, everything is pretty wet out there.




And it's going to get even wetter, because this . . . .



is headed our way for later today, and according to the knowledgeable Brad Nitz on Atlanta's own WSB-TV Channel Two, this line of storms is packing quite a wallop, with a lot of lightning, winds up to 60 mph, and maybe even some hail.

Now, I don't mind working outside in a little sprinkle, or even a pretty hard sprinkle, but storms - no! And, have you ever tried to dig a hole in heavy clay that is saturated with water? Nope, well, you haven't missed much!

The land where our home sits was, for many years, woods and pastures. It had never been cultivated, and that is normal for this part of northern Georgia. So the soil is very poor, and for each plant that I plant, I dig a hole larger than necessary, dump the clay in the back, lower part of the yard that tends to wash in heavy rains, and add a good quality top soil mixed with some of the bad soil. And you can NOT dig clay very easily when it is wet (or dry, for that matter).

So today I'll probably plant the annuals in the pots for the front porch, but beyond that, I won't be getting many of my new plants in the ground until it dries up a bit. I guess that means I do housework.

DARN! ;o)

Have a great weekend, Becky


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, We had heavy rain and lightning last night too. The thunder was so loud at one point we thought it was a tree falling! Yes, I have tried to dig and haul saturated red clay and it's a killer! You have a beautiful selection of plants for when it does dry out.
Since you went to Cherokee High near the Rock Barn, did you also get your learner's/drivers license across the street from the school? I did!
I hope we don't get the strong wind and hail this afternoon. By the way, I love the music "In the Garden" on your blog today.

K-Sue said...

When we first bought a house in the Orlando area, I marveled at how easily I could dig a whole flowerbed. In Stone Mountain, and even before that growing up in S. GA, I jarred my teeth digging red clay plenty of times.

English Cottage in Georgia said...

Goodness, I had no idea this was happening. I just turned on my sprinkler system to begin tomorrow. Better run and turn it off :-)

Ladybug in TN said...

Becky,
We have not had the bad storms thus far that you have had but supposed during the night (which is now) it is suppose to come. We have had lots of rain but today it has been cooler in the low 60s and misty.
Your flowers are beautiful and the peony is so full and gorgeous. Mine are budding.
I so wish I were able to be outside like you. I would have a lovely garden so I do enjoy seeing yours.
Blessings to you my friend. Lift a prayer for me while you are worshipping in the Church of The Green Forest".

Ladybug in TN said...

Becky,
We have not had the bad storms thus far that you have had but supposed during the night (which is now) it is suppose to come. We have had lots of rain but today it has been cooler in the low 60s and misty.
Your flowers are beautiful and the peony is so full and gorgeous. Mine are budding.
I so wish I were able to be outside like you. I would have a lovely garden so I do enjoy seeing yours.
Blessings to you my friend. Lift a prayer for me while you are worshipping in the Church of The Green Forest".

Anonymous said...

I understand your frustrations! Between the rain and storms and a tiller that just won't cooperate, I haven't got my veggies planted either! :( And I don't want to do housework anymore! :( I wonder if I could count making cards for some upcoming relatives' birthdays and anniversaries getting some "chores" done? LOL!

I hope you get to play in the dirt again soon, but according to the forecast, it's going to be rainy for most of the week. You may not get your 'dirt therapy' for a few days yet! :( Hopefully soon, though! I know you love it!

Take care, -TS