Saturday, May 23, 2009

Another Easy-Peasy Recipe . . .

For Memorial Day or any day! Not only are grilled veggies delicious, but they are really good for you, so how can you go wrong!

I started these a bit early in the day for two reasons. One, I wanted to blanch the asparagus so it wouldn't take so long to cook on the grill, and two, because I wanted to marinate the veggies for a while.

So, I started with a big pot of boiling salted water threw in the asparagus spears for about a half a minute, then took them out of the boiling water and put them into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. While the asparagus was cooling, I washed and sliced a small zucchini - yellow squash works well here, too. You can slice it any way you like, but for this batch I cut the squash in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 3-4 slices.

When the asparagus is cold and the squash is sliced, put it all into a zippered bag and add about 1/3 cup of your marinade, press out as much air as you can, seal it and put it in the fridge until you are ready to put it on the grill.

My marinade of choice these days is this one >>>


I just LOVE Ken's Steak House salad dressings, and this very good dressing also makes an excellent marinade for veggies and meats. In fact, I basted the boneless pork loin chops with this as I grilled them, and they were very, very good. I have tried their ranch, bleu cheese, country french with vermont honey (yum!) and this vinaigrette, and they are all very good.


I put the zucchini on when the chops were about 1/2 done because, being raw, they needed more time to cook. Then when the chops were done, I added the asparagus spears t the grill. All you really have to do is heat them up.


I also had oven roasted potato wedges, and a bit of butter with freshly roasted garlic for the pork. It was a delicious meal, and incredibly easy to prepare!

Many other veggies do well on the grill, including onions, peppers, eggplant - basically anything that is large enough they won't fall through the grates!

I have all my meals planned for this weekend and all of next week, and almost every meal is going to be cooked and/or eaten on the deck (weather permitting) and I look forward to having some nice relaxing evenings. So, what are YOUR plans for this holiday weekend???

Blessings, Becky


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We love Ken's dressings too!