Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Camping, Treasures, and Ohio!

Camping - Sorry it's been so long since a post!  Last week was a busy one . . . we decided on Tuesday that since the weekend was supposed to be beautiful, we ought to go camping.  So we did!  We went to the beautiful Richard B. Russell State Park near Elberton - one of our favorite Georgia State Parks.  And we camped in the tent, which is a switch for us!  Due to high gas prices, we are trying to take the camper only on certain trips, and branching out into taking a tent as often as we can.  And it was lots of fun!

Saturday was a beautiful day, and we pretty much just sat in the sun and dozed.  In between bouts of dozing I was crocheting on dish cloths, but other than that we were pretty lazy.  Late afternoon we took the kayaks out into the lake for our only paddle of the weekend, and it was great!  The only meals I cooked were breakfast on both Saturday and Sunday - coffee in the percolator, link sausages and pancakes - and it was delicious!  We were having cold fried chicken for dinner on Saturday night and suddenly the sky started getting dark, and we began to hear rumbles of thunder, so we rushed around and put anything that didn't need to get wet in the back of the truck.  By the time we had everything secured, walked to the bath house for a potty run and got to the tent, the rain began.  And we had quite a summer electrical storm - in March!  You know we have to pay for the beautiful, warm, unseasonable weather some way, right?  But we stayed toasty warm and dry in the tent.  And we had the small TV and cable, so we watched an NCIS marathon while it stormed.  And it really was a great weekend!

Treasures - On Friday morning, before we left for the campground, I walked around the bend to a house in our subdivision that was having a garage sale.  I had ridden by there on Thursday and they were setting up (but not open yet) so I knew things looked promising!  First thing I found was in a box marked FREE - which is always fun!  I got this . . .





It's from 1994, and it's in really good shape except the cover needs a good cleaning.  You know I love learning about my birds!

And next I found these . . .


I'm almost certain the one on left is a snuff glass, and the one on right is a Bama jelly glass.  She had them marked for 10 cents each, but when I checked out I got her to drop that so they were free - yippee!!!  I really love snuff glasses, and have several of them - they are great for juice.

And next I found this . . .


The color doesn't show up very well here, but it is a pretty soft pink with gold veins and trim.  It's about 4 to 5 inches across.  Here is a picture of the makers marks . . .


I've googled and looked for marks, but have not been able to identify the maker of this piece.  I will have this one up for sale soon, so if you are interested, let me know!  It will look wonderful in shabby pink decor!

And I also found this plate . . .


Don't you just love this dinner plate?  Here are the marks . . .




I already have a salad plate that I have turned into a pedestal plate that matches this, so as soon as I can find the right piece, I will be turning this into a cake plate.  They will both be up for sale on Myrtle -n - Me eventually.

And, the real treasure, and I think - for right now - this one is staying with me!!!  It is just beautiful . . .



I think it is considered flow blue, although the colors range more from aqua to teal.


It has a lovely, delicate floral pattern.


This is the largest of the marks, but I haven't been able to find much on this - I'm thinking it may be the store that the plate was manufactured for rather than who made it, because . . .



I was able to identify the marks above and below.  The plate was made by Furnival sometime between 1878 and 1888.  The stamped 26 and 15 on the lower picture have yet to be identified!




Here is a view of all of the marks - and there are 5 of them!


The plate is in excellent condition, and that small crack appears to have been created in the firing, because it is glazed and there is no sign that it has expanded.  And it really is gorgeous!

So that was all of my treasures from Friday.  I can't wait to get out and about this coming Friday and see what kind of treasures I can find!

Ohio - We are seriously considering taking a trip back to one of our favorite vacation spots this summer.  We went to Ohio about 4 to 5 years ago and just loved it!  We have found a state park - Salt Fork State Park - where we think we will be camping.  If we go, it will be some time in July most likely.  And why am I telling you this ???  Well, because if you know the east central part of Ohio (Amish country, Hocking Hills, etc.) I would love to know of places to visit!  Antiques, fabrics, glassware, food (both restaurants and markets), beautiful places, you know - just great places to find treasures or fun things to do!  I truly would appreciate any input you can give!

Oh, and back to the camping trip.  I only took a couple of pictures, and they were Saturday night when I was watching TV and crocheting while I waited for the storm to pass.  Bailey wasn't happy with the storm and stayed as close to me as she could until the thunder stopped.  She is our oldest little girl, but she is still my baby doll!  Take a peek . . .


She really was not a 'happy camper' that night!  And even when the storm ended and I put out the light and laid down in the bed, she stayed right beside me under the covers all night long!

So that is about all for today!  I hope you have a wonderful day, full of blessings and little gifts!  Be Joyful Always, Becky

5 comments:

K-Sue said...

What a great trip! Cable TV in your tent? Roughing it - you guys know how to go. Sweet yard sale treasures, too!

Anonymous said...

Love that photo of Bailey! Sounds like a great time and I love all the yard sale treasures. Way to go!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

What great finds! Love that cute picture of your adorable dog!! I am new to your blog. Look so forward to reading more posts.

English Cottage in Georgia said...

I love reading of your adventures! I have not camped out since Girl Scouts and do not think now is the time to begin...I have anxiety just imagining my husband wandering off in the woods:-(.
Sooo, I am actually living vicariously through your adventures.
You found a trove of treasures so close to home...lucky you.

Val said...

Sounds like your trip was great. And I love seeing your deals!