Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Losing Time and Finding Treasures!

Wow!  I can't believe it's been two whole weeks since I posted on  here!  I'm sorry friends, and there's no excuse other than I've been busy with other things!

Such as, you ask?

Well, the week before last is mostly a blur, but on Thursday I had to take my Mama to the doctor because she had a 'cold' which turned out to be a sinus/upper respiratory infection and she got a shot in each 'cheek' and a prescription for antibiotics.  She is fine now, thanks!

Then after I took her home I went to visit my friend, Sue, to help her make a card for her great nephew's wedding shower.  We visited the house that they are working on for him and his new bride, and to see her chickens and pigs and to see the baby Rhode Island Red chicks they had just hatched.  Very sweet!  While we were at the nephew's house, we got to take some lumber scraps, so I hope to do some crafty projects with them soon.

Then, on Friday I went to an estate sale in Gainesville - what a bust!  It was just a bunch of well used newer stuff - no treasures for me, so I left there and went in search of yard sales.  I had success at a couple of them, too.  First was a condo where this lady had TONS of stuff!  Apparently she owns or owned a children's party business, and there was lots of things like small games, cotton candy supplies, snow cone supplies, etc.  But what I got was . . .

  • a large bag full of fabric
  • a box full of ribbon
  • three vinyl, flannel backed tablecloths

and all for $7.  The tablecloths were like new, and I've seen the big green ones for $7 at Walmart, so I think I got a great deal!

Then I stopped at another yard sale and found the deal/treasure of the day . . .



Three vintage canning jars, two of them the aqua blue Ball jars, the third a Hazel Atlas 1/2 gallon jar!  Glass wise they are all in great shape, but the metal clamps are very rusty, and part of one is missing.  And only the clear Hazel Atlas jar has the lid, but they are so pretty and will look great sitting in my kitchen window!

Here is a slideshow of that week's goodies . . .




Place your cursor (mouse arrow) over the picture and it will tell a little bit about each item.

Then, last week  I was in a crazy good creative mode, so I did projects for the next month's assignments over at Unscripted Sketches.  Oh, and if you haven't visited over there yet, this is the time because we are celebrating our second blogiversary and 100th sketch with some great giveaways!

On Friday I left home @ 6:40 and drove over an hour to Dunwoody, GA for an estate sale I'd seen online on Thursday.  It was amazing!  This lady had hundreds of patterns, hundres of yards of fabric, tons and tons of lace, buttons, yarn and other crafting products.  I got some GORGEOUS ribbon, lace, some pretty hankies, some buttons, etc.  

After I left the estate sale, I started looking for yard sales.  There weren't a lot of them out there on Friday, but I did find one that made me very happy!  I had been looking for old pillowcases to use for making old aprons and using for fabric for other projects, and I found a stack of very pretty pillowcases, and, the deal/treasure of the day . . .



It is a gorgeous barkcloth tablecloth - in all my favorite bright colors!  It was dingy and I actually thought it was beige until I washed it and soaked it for a day in oxiclean, and then I found out it was actually white!  Most of the stains came out, and I am very happy!  This will be on my kitchen table very soon!

Here is a slide show from Friday's treasure hunting . . .




So, let's see, I guess that's about it!  This weekend we just messed around the house, looked for and bought a new grill, and went out to eat.  Although we could use the money from hubby working overtime, I am really enjoying having him at home on Saturdays.

And this week is just as busy!  Tomorrow I'm going shopping and out to lunch with my friend, Phyllis.  She is on her last spring break from school before she retires in June.  And then Thursday I'm going to pick up my mother and take her to a restaurant to meet my dad's two sisters for a late breakfast and visit.  One of his sisters spends the winter in S. Florida and the rest of the year in either VA or NH, and she is on her way north.  And then this weekend we are going camping on Lake Lanier, just a few miles from here.

So if you don't hear from me for a while, never fear!  I am doing fine, just being busy with life.  And it feels so good!

Blessings friends, and Be Joyful Always!  Becky

7 comments:

Val said...

Hey this is funny because I just explained how busy I was lateley in an email. I wish I was with you at the yard sales and estate sales but right now just working. Hope you continue to stay busy and have fun and find treasures.

K-Sue said...

Wow, you have been running around - and loving it, I'm sure! I have a tablecloth very similar to your bright colorful one. Mine came from my grandmother, and makes me happy whenever it is on the table.

Laura said...

We love that tablecloth! It is absolutely beautiful! We hope to find some like that. It reminds me(Laura) of the ones my grandmother had. What brand is it?

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Wow, you got the best stuff!!! That table cloth would have made me do the happy dance!. And the ribbon, I can't quit buying ribbon and lace !

Carol

craftyles said...

Becky, love all your vintage goodies-especially the cute tablecloth. I wanted to thank you for your comment about my Dad. Yes I am finally taking care of me-now that he's doing a little better. Can't wait to catch up. Have a Happy Happy Easter!
Leslie

Laura said...

Wow!!! You found some beautiful things! That tablecloth is gorgeous! Michele and I also have been looking for old sheets with bright colors to make pillows but we haven't had much luck lately. We are both working now ..so we hardly have time to keep up with all of our blogger friends. So we want to apologize for that. We also wanted to make sure that you know that we enjoy your blog very much

Unknown said...

I'd love to join this little gifts campaign, I sent you email over a month ago and never heard back?