Sunday, November 8, 2009

Savannah Trip - We're Here!

After loading up, hooking up, getting the girls and me settled in the back seat, and Hubby and Mama in the front seat, we were ready! A quick prayer asking for safety and a good trip, and we are on our way. It's 5:05 AM October 31st.

We had a great trip down, with no problems at all - if you don't count the fact I had planned on sleeping in the narrow back seat with two dogs sharing it with me. Trust me, sleep doesn't happen in the back seat of an F-150, especially not with 2 dogs in your face! We stopped at the rest area just north of Macon to walk the girls, take a potty break and get a cup of coffee for Hubby, who was doing all the driving.

Next we stopped at a Waffle House just south of Macon, near the Geico building for a late breakfast and gas, and we are back on the road! We got to Skidaway Island State Park just before noon, checked in and went in search of the perfect campsite. Luckily we got our favorite site (and yes, we've camped there a couple of times before), number 56 in loop 4. It's a long, and deep campsite with your own private pond that changes with the tides.

We got the camper in place, put up, the truck and everything unloaded and ready for a week's fun! After a short rest, we decided it was dinner time, and had dinner at Carey Hilliards at the intersection of Montgomery Cross Road and Waters Road. I couldn't find a website, but they have several locations, and the food, while good, isn't anything out of the ordinary. Mama and Hubby had flounder and shrimp while I had the special - a hamburger steak with grilled onions, two sides for $4.99!!!

Sunday we got up and ready and headed to Kellers Flea Market at Abercorn and Hwy 17 (Coastal Highway). It's a huge flea market, and we didn't see near all of it, but enjoyed our visit. The hardest part for me was visiting the pet section! There were several Dachshund puppies, but what stole my heart was a Papillon puppy - oh, be still my heart! But, alas, two pups are enough for us, and the $400 price tag was waaayyyy out of our budget! But I was impressed with the cleanliness and rules in the pet section.

While there, I decided I wanted some good Mexican food and ended up at La Nopalera near Oglethorpe Mall, and only a few miles from our campground. I have to say, the food was delicious! I had a combo plate with enchilada, chile relleno, rice and beans, and a tamale on the side. It was all good - the tamale wasn't great, but the chile relleno was wonderful!!! Then we headed back to the campsite to rest up for Monday. And yes, I did pull out the Maalox, but the food was worth the mild case of heartburn!!! :o)

Monday we headed north through Savannah up to Hilton Head - sorry, not one of my favorite places - and on to Beaufort, South Carolina, which IS one of my favorite places! Our main reason for visiting was to take Mama to see Hunting Island State Park, which is just a gorgeous place! We camped there a few years ago, and trust me when I say it is a very special place. If you like the movie Forrest Gump, some of the island will look familiar, as many of the Vietnam war scenes were filmed there.

We had a late lunch/early dinner at Barbara Jeans in Beaufort, and it's really good food! We got back to the campground late, and day two was ended.

That's it for now. Enjoy the few pictures in the slideshow below, and I'll share more with you later. Blessings friend! Becky

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Savannah Trip 2009 - #1
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very fun week. I have been to Beaufort before many years ago and loved it. I recognize a few of the restaurant names too. Today looks like a good one to stay inside and drink cocoa and sew with the rain!

K-Sue said...

After reading this I'm hungry. Looks like you had a restful week. I really liked the Smilebox slideshow. What a cool way to show a bunch of pictures.

Paula said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip, Miss Becky! I would have loved to been at that flea market! (Oh, and with some spending money, of course! *LOL*)

tara said...

Sounds like a wonderful vacation, your photos are awesome, love the dolphin one!! thanks for sharing, I need a blondiensc cottage nest 2 I think! :)