Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Favorite Holiday Recipe - Chocolate Delight Pie

I'm sorry that I don't have pictures for this recipe, but Mama is making it for our Thanksgiving meal, and I won't have it here until Tuesday evening. But it's such a holiday staple with our family, and it is so easy to make and most of all, incredibly delicious, I wanted to share it with you so if you choose, you will have time to make it for your Thanksgiving feast!


Chocolate Delight Pie

Layer One - Crust

  • 1 cup flour - doesn't matter if it is self rising or plain/all purpose - both work
  • 1 stick (1/4 pound) butter or margarine, melted
  • 2/3 to 1 cup pecans or walnuts, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Mix flour, butter and pecans together well and press into bottom of 9x11 glass baking dish (Pyrex) until evenly distributed. (Note: I put the dish on a low burner on top of the stove and melt my butter in it and then add flour and pecans - it's one less dirty dish!)

Bake at 325 degrees until lightly golden and you smell the roasty pecan smell.

Allow to cool completely.

Layer Two - Cream Cheese Layer

  • 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar
  • 1 cup Cool Whip

Mix all ingredients together well, spread evenly on top of crust, chill in refrigerator.

Layer Three - Chocolate Pudding Layer

  • 2 small boxes instant chocolate pudding mix
  • 3 cups cold milk

Blend pudding mix and milk well. This recipe calls for 1 cup less milk than the instructions on the box so that the pudding will be very thick and rich. Spread pudding on top of cream cheese layer, cover and keep chilled.

Layer Four - Cool Whip

  • Cool Whip

Spread chocolate pudding layer evenly (and thickly) with Cool Whip. If desired, garnish with chocolate curls or shavings, or even finely chopped nuts. Keep refrigerated until just before serving. Please note: You can make this a day or two in advance, but it is better if you don't put the last layer of Cool Whip on until just before serving.

So, that is it! Although there are several steps, this is an incredibly easy recipe, and well worth the effort. Our family just L*O*V*E*S this dessert, and no holiday would be the same without it. I'll try to get a picture of the pie on here later, but I'm not promising someone won't get to it and cut it before I have a chance!

Have a wonderful, thankful, special Thanksgiving, friends! Becky

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has to be yummy - I love that crust with nuts, cream cheese and chocolate!!! Thank you for sharing. Nice to have something good that is simple to make.

K-Sue said...

I've had this before, but never made it - love it!!!! Not only is it yummy, but it's pretty with the layers. Yum!

aimee said...

i will make it to take to my sisters on thanksgiving.thanks for the yummy treat. happy thanksgiving to you too :)
blessings,
aimee

Gypsy Heart said...

This is one of my favorite recipes ~ everyone in my family loves it! Hope you have a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

This pie sounds so yummy, thank you for sharing the recipe! Thanks too for stopping by my blog. I think your banner sounds wonderful. I hope to a pic of it! Best of luck with the prize draw!