Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Glorious Fall Sunday



This past Sunday was a glorious fall day in northern Georgia! And of course fall in north GA means APPLES!!! Ellijay, Georgia is home to the Georgia Apple Festival, and any number of apple orchards and 'apple houses' where you go to buy fresh, local grown apples, produce and treats such as jams, jellies, apple bread and fried pies!



Hubby and I ran by and picked up my mom and headed for the hills . . . the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains! We stopped in Ellijay for apples and sweet potatoes, drove up through Dahlonega and Cleveland, Clarkesville, Batesville, and on to Clayton, then up to Dillard, GA where my mom bought collards, mountain cabbage (regular green cabbage grown in the mountains and picked after a frost that supposedly makes it sweeter and crisper) and onions. Next, up to just north of the NC line to the Spring Creek Creamery where we got ice cream - it was so good and creamy! I got coconut, and it was very coco-nutty and just scrumptious!



After that, we headed home where we had a slow cooker dinner waiting for us. It was a great day, lots of fun and LOTS of driving! We also made a few stops along the way where I took pics of some of the most colorful trees. Enjoy! Becky











7 comments:

Fay said...

Oh. how I miss going to the mountains in the fall to look at all the fall colors and going to Ellijay to pick up some of the delicious apples. Can't remember the names of the apples I always bought but they were so good. It is early in the morning here and pouring down rain.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect day, especially ice cream - coconut is Nalley's favorite!

K-Sue said...

I am enjoying! It sounds and look glorious!

Susan said...

Looks so lovely! Thanks for stopping by and your kind expression of sympathy. I extend my sympathy to you in the loss of your dad as well.
I'm sure the ache of loss will lessen in time, but wouldn't you just love to hug him one more time?

English Cottage in Georgia said...

What a lovely day for an outing! Your pics are beautiful. We have been so busy inside English Cottage and doctors' offices, we really have not had a chance to enjoy the beautiful Fall weather.

Judy said...

Lovely Lovely Lovely!

I know Chili-man would love to be in your neck of the woods. Guess he'll have to settle for an Oklahoma autumn instead...

Thanks for sharing.

the Provident Woman said...

I'm sorry, I got distracted reading your post once I read fried pies. Now that's all I can think about. Yum!

Wanted to let you know that I have a giveaway on my site. Just click on the giveaway picture on one of the right sidebars.
theprovidentwoman.com