Thursday, October 8, 2009

Easy Apple Cobbler

I had fully intended to do this post last night and schedule it to post in the wee hours this morning. But something happened last night. I forgot!!! So I'm going to post it today instead. Here is my recipe for Easy Apple Cobbler!

(Please note, this cobbler has a more cakey type crust than a pie crust type crust.)

EASY APPLE COBBLER

Peel and core 3-4 large firm apples. Normally I would use Fuji or Rome Beauty apples, but what I had was Gala, and they worked fine.


Have you ever used a melon baller to remove the seeds and core from an apple??? They work great, and are much easier than apple corers to me.


Slice the apples into about 1/2 to 1 inch slices, then cut the slices in half - this makes perfect bite sized pieces. Into an oven proof casserole dish, pour about one cup of apple juice and 1/2 cup or so of granulated sugar. Put it on the stove on warm, and dissolve the sugar.


Add the apples and a bit of cinnamon (about 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon) and just a tiny pinch of ground cloves. The cloves is optional, but I love the bit of sweet spicy-ness that it adds. Cook on top of the stove for just a few minutes until the apples begin to look a bit soft. While they are cooking, prepare the crust.


First, mix 1 cup of granulated sugar, 1 cup of self rising flour, and a nice pinch of cinnamon in a bowl. Using a wire whisk to mix these ingredients is easiest, and helps the sugar to 'sift' the flour so there won't be any lumps in the crust.


Meanwhile, melt one stick of butter or margarine in the microwave. Add 1/2 to 2/3 cup milk and the melted margarine to the dry ingredients and mix well.
Pour the crust right over the apples in the casserole dish. The crust will sink to the bottom, but as it cooks it will come back to the top.
Bake at 350 degrees until the crust is golden and the apple juices are bubbling around the edges.

Allow to cool for a bit, then serve alone, with ice cream or whipped cream. Leftovers are great heated up in the microwave, too.


I prefer it by itself or with some good quality cinnamon ice cream, but that's hard to come by except during the holidays.
I love the addition of the apple juice, because it makes the apple flavor so much better. I have tried this using water to cook the apples, but it's just not the same at all.
If you try this, please let me know how you like it! Blessings, Becky

3 comments:

Islandsparrow said...

ooh - that dessert looks delicious! I'll be picking more apples this weekend and I will be giving this a try. Thanks!

I've read a few Boxcar children books but only as an adult. I never knew of them as a child. The Bobbsey Twins were my favourite series.

Thanks for dropping by for a visit!

tara said...

one word: delicioso!!

Have a wonderful weekend Becky!

need cash said...

Wow!!! Thar apple cobbler looks so delicious. Yummy!!!