Thursday, January 8, 2009

Tasty Thursday!

I am going to attempt to make Thursdays about sharing one of my favorite recipes, and since I made this one for dinner last night, I thought it might be good for this first Tasty Thursday! I can honestly say this is MY recipe! I looked at and tried a lot of recipes, but none that we really liked, so one day I took what I knew, put a pad and pen on the counter 'specifically' for making up my chili recipe. I had it pretty much perfected, and somehow that notebook disappeared, and I had to start from scratch - again! But what I came up with was . . . . . .

CHILI . . . . . CAMELLIA COTTAGE STYLE

1 lb ground chuck
1 - 2 tablespoons canola oil

Brown ground chuck in oil, drain and set aside.
1 ¼ cup (+/-) chopped onion
1 cup (+/-) chopped celery
¾ cup (+/-) chopped bell pepper
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
In same pot as you browned meat, cook veggies over medium heat until soft and translucent.
Add:
Browned ground beef
1 can kidney beans (dark red, light red, or cannellini)
1 can diced tomatoes with juice (rinse out can with little water and put
that in the pot)
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce (rinse out can with little water and put that
in the pot.
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon (+/-) black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon sugar
a pinch or two (depending on your heat level) crushed red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon Italian herbs
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon dried ground mustard
¼ teaspoon whole cumin
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
3 Tablespoons ketchup
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 pkg Sazon Goya con culantro y achiote seasoning mix (optional)
1 to 1 ½ cups water or beef broth

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for a couple of hours. If you don't have that much time, you can hurry it up, but to me it's better when simmered a while!
That's it! Very easy, and very satisfying, especially when it's cold and messy outside. I hope you try it, and let me know how you and yours enjoyed it if you do try it. Also, please let me know what other kind of recipes you'd like to read here.
Have a blessed, and tasty, Thursday! Becky

2 comments:

Cynthia's Cottage Design said...

Oh yummy! Its lunch time now, and your post has me running to the Fridge :) how delicious sounding , I will have to try this! Thank you for sharing it!!

and Thanks too for stopping by and leaving such sweet comments!!

Hugs, Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Sounds fabulous! Can you send me some left overs? :)