Thursday, December 4, 2008

Have you started your holiday baking yet???

I'm so far behind already, that I am now in the "Oh, another day won't make much difference . . . " mode! But I do hope to do some baking soon, and the cookies I'm about to share the recipe with you are so delicious - truly addictive - and extremely easy to make! And there's very little sugar in them, which is always a good thing.





I found this recipe in the "Eaglefest" cookbook, compiled by Linka R. Bowen in 1987. At the time she was a junior at Georgia Southern College, and many of the recipes were submitted by alumni. I actually got the cookbook at a yard sale a few years ago for 25 cents! On the bottom left hand corner the original price tag of $10.95 is still there, and a yard sale ticket at top right hand corner of 50 cents. I got there late in the day, and everything was 1/2 price -yay!

If you see the oatmeal in the recipe, and don't particularly care for oatmeal cookies (like me) - take heart! The oatmeal is a really nutty addition, and this cookie bar bears no resemblance to an oatmeal cookie.

Here's the recipe >>>


Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
  • ¾ cup all purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup butter - softened
  • 6 Tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 6 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon water
  • 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
  • 6 ounces (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • ¾ to 1 cup finely chopped nuts (my addition, and I use either pecans or walnuts)

Sift together flour, soda and salt.

Blend together with butter, sugar, vanilla and water. Stir in oatmeal, chocolate chips and nuts.

Spread in greased 13 x 9 inch pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.

Allow to cool slightly, then slice into bars of desired size.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's it! A very easy cookie recipe, with not much sugar, good amounts of fiber, and a great, addictive taste! I hope you try them, and if you do, please let me know how you liked them! Blessings, y'all! Becky

No comments: