Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Chilly Day Calls for Soup!

It's been a chilly last couple of days, and I wasn't here yesterday because I had to take my dad to downtown Atlanta for a check-up on his defibrilator. So today was definitely the day for soup. My favorite . . .


Camellia Cottage Tuscan Chicken Vegetable Soup




Here's the recipe >>>

In a 5 or 6 quart stock pot, mix:

1 to 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
2/3 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped celery
2/3 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 teaspoon (more or less) minced garlic
pinch of salt



The girls (as always) somehow knew I was chopping veggies and stood at my feet waiting for one of their favorite treats - chopped celery and carrots!




Over medium high heat, saute veggies in oil until beginning to get soft and translucent. You may need to lower the heat a bit once they get to going.

Next, add:


1 one lb (16oz) bag of frozen mixed veggies

1 can rinsed and drained kidney beans (I use dark red)
1 can rinsed and drained cannelini beans
1 can diced tomatoes with or without your favorite seasonings - (this time the ones I used had roasted garlic)
3 - 4 cups chicken broth
water as needed to fill pot



Seasonings - whatever I want to add! Including:

1 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
1 Teaspoon dried Italian herbs
pinch of red pepper flakes
1/8 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 Teaspoon dried sweet basil
1/2 Teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon sugar optional




Chicken Bouillion - if it's not chicken-y enough, add bouillion granules or cubes to taste


If it seems a little bland, you can add a tablespon or two of worcestershire sauce for richness.



Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and allow to simmer for at least 2 to 3 hours, or longer if possible.

About 1 hour before serving, add pre-cooked (about 1 1/2) cups diced or pulled chicken meat.

This is best when left on the simmer burner and allowed to cook slowly all day.

This soup freezes beautifully!



As always, seasonings are a matter of taste. We tend to like a little bit of warmth, but not really hot and spicy. Use this recipe as a guideline, but feel free to experiment with your favorite veggies and seasonings.




And that's my recipe for some delicious homemade chicken veggie soup. I hope you try it, and if you do, let me know how you like it!


As info, I've been trying to figure out what's going on with the comments, and I think I got it fixed this time. if not, I guess I'll have to break down and get some help. {sigh}


Be blessed, friends! Becky

No comments: